Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Beadlemania

I again submitted two pieces into Beadlemania. It's called Beadlemania because 1) Beatlemania is the term used to describe the era where The Beatles rocked (it still hasn't ended!) and 2) the College of Arts and Sciences is in Beadle Hall. Beadlemania is to 1) showcase student work over the past year and 2) award those pieces that are most outstanding. Ice Princess

Last year, one of my pieces won 1st place for the 2D category. I'm 98% positive I won't be winning anything this year for my entries. (I left 2%; just in case it's a Cinderella story). It's not that the things I submitted weren't good...I just know they aren't as good as others' work. They judge tonight or tomorrow, but I'm not hopeful. One award is good enough, right? I mean, it'd be selfish to win another. Anyway, I submitted that picture of Marissa and my Ping-Pong animation from last semester.

I submitted my Ping-Pong animation, as opposed to my exterior environment (see below) for many reasons. 1) For some reason, the DVD decided to stop working right when it needed to most. So, I didn't have time or $ to try to reburn it on a new DVD. 2) Since I lost so much time from the remaking of corrupted files, I had to sacrifice many artistic endeavors I was going to try. Here are a few of them:

  • Every frame would have been black and white, except the flower would be in color


    • This would require bringing in over 2000 "pictures" and outlining the flower by hand -- at least one more week's work


  • I would have fixed the glitch in the animation of the flower, right after it floats in the air

  • I would have made the trees sway in the direction of the flower's movement, to show it's a windy day and the flower just isn't a magical flying flower


    • I would have done this to the yellow ribbons, too


  • I would have focused more on the "back story"


    • More focus on the yellow ribbons, support our troops signs, words on gravestone

    • Confetti on ground -- suggestion a parade the day before


  • Not even done this exterior and done the island from Lost instead


    • Would have needed at least another 2 weeks, just for rendering time


      • There are a lot of trees on the Lost island

      • Trees take for friggin' ever to render




The thing I do like about it, is that I animated the camera as if it didn't know where the flower was going. Kind of like if a human saw it start floating away and wanted to film it...one just can't anticipate where the wind will blow. So I am happy with that. Anyway, watch it. If you don't have anything nice to say about it...that's OK. Apparently, neither do I!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home